The Ayurvedic world will tell you that the adrenal depleting coffee is a bad thing. We acknowledge that we need the bitter taste as part of our diet but the extra stimulation from coffee will create such a havoc on the nervous system that it will prove more damage than beneficial.
But I don't believe in a world where we allow another to tell us what to do without first making sure it works or doesn't work for us. It takes a certain strength of mind and knowledge of your tendencies to get to this point.
Questions to check in with yourself before taking your cup o'joe -
- Do I NEED coffee to have a bowel movement? (You are slowly weakening the functioning of the peristalsis and may require extra help the older you get)
- Am I able to wake up feeling energetic? (You may be holding onto toxins that need removal and coffee will only exacerbate the problem)
- Do I suffer anxiety or worry or have panic attacks? (You will be further depleting your nervous system which can lead to severe mental disorders as you age)
- Is my body frail or thin or gets sick easily? (Coffee as a stimulant will deplete the immune system and dry the system out which causes pathogens to be able to attack more easily)
- Do I live a life that is hectic and give myself little time to relax? (Like increases like - increased movement and increased running around is a double whammy to increase Vata or nervous disorders in the body)
When I think of the places where coffee is grown, the lifestyle is laid back and restful. When I think of how Europeans drink coffee, it is a relaxed state, taking time to talk and listen. When I see how Aussies are drinking coffee these days, it is reminding me more and more like the Americans. We have created a madcap world and finding substance to keep the pace going.
Like any substance we ingest, food or beverage, look at how the substance is affecting you. It requires you to start to pay attention to yourself each day.
You have a choice. Either pay attention and be able to take in whatever substance you choose with intelligence for right time, right place, right state of mind. Or adopt the mode of the masses waiting to be told whether an item is good or bad.
Be independent and look after yourself. And enjoy life.